The Browns get a huge win over the hated Steelers. But the victory came at the expense of some key injuries. Can the Browns keep the momentum going as they hit a weak part of their schedule? We’re talkin’ Browns! It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 38:32
1Q: Browns impress in a rare win over Pittsburgh
- Cleveland 31, Pittsburgh 10
- Browns took control in 2nd qtr, taking a 21-3 lead to halftime.
- 5 play, 68yd drive included big passes to Miles Austin and Cameron. Ended with Crowell 5yd TD run.
- 3 play, 60yd drive capped by 51yd TD bomb to Cameron.
- Then a long 11 play, 80yd drive that ate 5 mins and ended with Tate 8yd TD run.
- Tate (78 yds) and Crowell (77 yds) continued Browns resurgent running attack.
- Haden and Kruger were not expected to play and both had good games
- Terance West was deactivated. Apparently, he has some attitude issues.
- Big Ben was 18-1 against us coming in to game.
- Pettine and O’Neil allegedly simplified the defensive game plan since unit was struggling. It worked.
2Q: The win came at a cost
- Season-ending injuries to C Alex Mack and DL Armonty Bryant.
- Mack had never missed a snap in his career. That was 5,189 consecutive snaps. He even played in a game after having appendix removed. He IS Iron Man.
- John Greco did a great job subbing for him and moving over from his RG spot. Greco had NEVER played center in a game before.
- Defensive line beset with injuries. Bryant (tore ACL in knee) joins Phil Taylor (knee), Billy Winn (quad) and Ahtyba Rubin (ankle) who have all missed time this season.
- Team placed Bryant on IR and signed DL Sione Fua on Tuesday to replace him. He’s a 4 year vet, drafted by Panthers and played with Denver last year. He’s made 12 starts in NFL.
3Q: Is 6-2 a possibility?
- The Browns get a huge break, if there is such a thing, with their schedule for the next three weeks.
- @Jacksonville (0-6): Struggling with young team, Bortles at QB
- Host Oakland (0-5): Struggling with old, overpriced team and a young QB (Carr). Already fired their coach.
- Host Tampa (1-5): Lovie Smith’s squad blown out in 2 of last 3 weeks (Atlanta and Baltimore) with an upset win over Pittsburgh in between.
- These teams are all dangerous. Can’t overlook any one of them.
- Schedule toughens up after that (@Cincy, Houston, @Atlanta, @Buffalo). Then Indy, Cincy, @Carolina and @Baltimore to end season.
- Josh Gordan eligible to return for the Atlanta game.
4Q: OSU Must Be Well Rested
- Two BYEs in one season? Who made this schedule?
- While the rest of College Football schedules some good games, Buckeyes have a soft schedule and two weeks off. Gotta fix that.
- Hosting Rutgers this week. The Scarlet Knights are 5-1 (1-1 in BigTen). They were also off last week following their 26-24 win over Michigan.
- Will we see better defense?
- Will we see continued improvement of O-Line and QB JT Barrett?
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio