Long live the mainframe! IBM has announced a power-packed new model aimed at your mobile needs. Do you consider them a viable option in your enterprise? Do you have the right Ops skills to support them?
Running Time: 25:30
IT Pro News:
- Facebook at Work is now available
- Google and Microsoft tussle over disclosures
- Amazon marketing fails with C4 servers that will blow up
- More datacenter space is being leased
- US President Obama asks FCC to improve 25Mb broadband
IT Pro Main Topic: Don’t we love mainframes?
- z13, the mainframe for mobile
- vintage IBM mainframe commercial for ebusiness
- The IBM press release for z13 amd the z13 homepage
- Highlights from the IBM VP of z, Mike Perera
- modernization, size, power, reliability
- 10TB RAM, 22nm chips at 5GHz, 100s of cores, each twice as fast as Intel cores, 30-50% faster Java execution, response time 70% faster, encryption twice as fast, run 8000 VMs
- REST APIs and JSON support built-in with API called Zos Connect for devs to easily access services on the mainframe
- support C and Java and Node.js and still PL1 and COBOL
- DB2 large scale support and Hadoop
- supports zOS and Linux and OpenStack all in combinations
- TCO one third to two thirds lower than Intel x86 servers or cloud
- designed process 2.5 billion transactions a day, or about one hundred Cyber Mondays.
- If you still have a mainframe, is it valuable?
- If you are all-in for the cloud, do you have an exit strategy, even with OpenStack?
- Is the Intel based datacenter design still affordable, well engineered?
- Microsoft Ignite is in Chicago, IL from May 4-8
- Cisco Live US is in San Diego, CA from June 7-11.
- Is there a conference you think we should be mentioning in this segment? Let us know!
IT Pro Bookshelf:
- What happened with the Amazon phone?, Fast Company
- Rebels at Work, Kelly and Medina
- z13 FAQ (100+pp), IBM
- z13 Technical Guide , IBM
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of IT Pro Show, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the ITPS podcast. It’s absolutely free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio