The Cavs start putting the team back together as NBA free agency gets underway. Core free agents are resigning with the team and David Griffin continues to look for the missing pieces. Meanwhile, the US Women’s National Team advances to the World Cup Final to avenge their loss to Japan in 2011. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 41:34
1Q: Cavs Free Agents
- Love, Smith and Lebron all opted out as expected
- Love agreed to return to a max deal, for the 5 year max. He’s all in.
- JR Smith may want too much to return. Forget about that rumor that Lebron may want 34yo Mike Dunleavy. He’s agreed to return to Chicago for a three year $15M deal.
2Q: Cavs Need Better Role Players
- Cavs have extended qualifying offers to Shump, Tristan and Delly.
- Draft netted two additional 2nd round picks, three overall.
- The Cavs started the night with pick No. 24, but traded the draft rights of Duke point guard Tyus Jones to Minnesota for picks 33 + 36 and a 2019 2nd rd pick.
- The PG talent had basically been taken by the time the Cavs 1st pick came up, so David Griffin opted for future big man depth.
- Essentially these guys cost them nothing and some will play overseas for a few years (Cedi Osman, SF from Turkey is a future Varejao replacement?)
3Q: Indians Looking for a Spark
- Brandon Moss said it probably appears to outsiders that the team has no heart. He’s right about that. What gives?
- Francona called a team meeting before their Tampa trip. The team responded with two wins (7-1 and 6-2) showing some hitting and pitching for a change.
- At 35-41, we are 10GB Kansas City in 4th place in the AL Central.
- Francisco Lindor (SS) and Giovanni Urshela (3B) are up from the minors and adding some spark to the team.
4Q: The USWMNT advances to World Cup Final
- Team USA defeats Germany 2-0 to advance to the Final on Sunday in Vancouver.
- We become just the 3rd team to appear in back-to-back WC Finals.
- We’ll face tonight’s Japan/England winner on Sunday. We lost to Japan in 2011.
- Impressive win in the SemiFinal game Tuesday against the #1 ranked German squad.
- Germany’s Celia Sasic missed a penalty kick.
- USA’s Carli Lloyd hit her opportunity in the 69th minute.
- Lloyd then found Kelley O’Hara with a great pass in the 84th minute that O’Hara knocked in to seal this one.
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio
- Subscribe with SoundCloud
- Subscribe with iHeart Radio