Training Camp is underway for the Browns and the injuries are impacting their backfield. Will they field enough healthy guys for their first preseason game against Washington this week? In Columbus, the Buckeyes will have to begin their title defense without four starters. Will it matter with all of the other weapons that Urban has assembled? We’ll soon find out. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 41:35
1Q: Browns Injuries Mounting
- Can anybody play running back? The Browns could use you because our guys keep dropping like flies. Isaiah Crowell is the only healthy back in camp as the other RBs and FBs are all nursing minor injuries, like pulled hamstrings. Coach Pett ain’t happy.
- The team held their Brown & Orange scrimmage in Columbus on Friday night. Statements from owner Jimmy Haslam suggest that this may be a thing of the future, or that training camp may soon move to Columbus.
- 1st round pick Danny Shelton rolled up on Joe Thomas’ leg in practice on Monday. Rookies.
- Too many people reading too much into early practice. The games will tell us how the QBs, WRs and other units are doing.
2Q: Browns face RG3 this week
- Yep, they’re only preseason but the games begin this week. Washington comes to town Thursday night for preseason game #1.
- 8/13 WASH @CLE
- 8/20 BUFF @ CLE
- 8/29 CLE @ TB
- 9/3 CLE @ CHI
3Q: Braxton’s Big Move
- In a move that surprised many, but not us, Miller is switching to receiver.
- Good move for him if he wants to pursue the NFL. He wasn’t going to cut it as a QB.
- With his speed, you have to find a place for him on the field. That is a weapon that teams cannot defend.
- Doubtful that he’ll be running crossing patterns, but as an H-back, taking pitches or short passes will create matchup problems.
- Can also see him as a deep threat (assuming he can catch)
- Down to Cardale and JT for the QB starter. Meyer may find ways to play both, but you have to expect he will open with Jones as the QB, right?
- Four starters suspended for Week 1 rematch against Va Tech for “violating department of Athletics policy” per school statement.
- DE Joey Bosa
- WR Dontre Wilson
- WR Jalin Marshall
- WR Corey Smith
- That leaves Braxton and Michael Thomas as the main targets for whoever wins the QB competition. Not a great way to start your title defense.
4Q: Cavs trade Haywood
- Trading Haywood to Portland was apparently the best offer David Griffin could find.
- Including Mike Miller was a surprise, but the vet apparently wanted a chance to sign with a playoff team that would commit some playing time to him. He will opt out of his deal with the Blazers to pursue another team.
- Lebron was apparently OK with the trade, considering that Miller is his close friend.
- Including Miller in the trade potentially saves the Cavs as much as $10M in luxury taxes, which is important for Gilbert given how high the payroll will be this year.
- The 2nd round picks are in 2019 and 2020, so they are not impactful to our near term success. We picked up the Pacers 2019 2nd rd pick (originally belonged to Lakers) in the trade last week that saw us send draft pick Rakeem Christmas to Indiana.
- We get a $10.5 million trade exception and a $2.85 trade exception. The exceptions expire a year from now.
- Tristan and JR Smith still unsigned.
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio
- Subscribe with iHeart Radio