If the season ends with a game against the Steelers, that can only mean one thing. The Browns are firing their coach and starting over. True to form, Jimmy Haslam boots the Coach and GM and plots a new course to right the ship. The Buckeyes end their season with a bowl win, but are watching many star players bolt for the NFL. The Cavs get their full roster back in time for a busy month of January. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 35:12
1Q: Browns Finale
- Steelers 28, Browns 12 in the season finale
- No Manziel in this one as he reported to work on Wednesday complaining about a concussion. Austin Davis started in his place and got sacked 7 times.
- The offense couldn’t get into the end zone and 4 Travis Coons FGs accounted for all of our scoring.
- Taylor Gabriel sustained a serious injury to his orbital socket and needs surgery. Hope he gets well soon.
- Manziel was spotted in Vegas on Saturday amid reports that his behavior in the clubhouse this year was not as rosy as we were led to believe.
- The Steelers snuck into the playoffs when the Bills beat the Jets on Sunday. They get the #6 seed and travel to face AJ McCarron and the Bengals this weekend in the WildCard round.
- Browns will get the 2nd pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. They will alternate picks in subsequent rounds with Tennessee who finished with the same record. That means the Browns get the top pick in the 2nd, 4th and 6th rounds and the second pick in rds 1, 3, 5 and 7.
- AFC Playoffs should be interesting. Patriots struggled at end of year after sustaining a ton of key injuries. Bengals, Texans and Broncos have been playing with backup QBs. No team in the AFC appears dominant right now.
- Meanwhile, in the NFC, Carolina, Arizona and Seattle all should be serious contenders to win it all. Which, of course, means they won’t.
2Q: Changes In Browns Town
- Browns part ways with GM Ray Farmer and HC Mike Pettine. Bill Kuharich and Morocco Brown also fired on Monday. Haslam says there are some coaches on Pettine’s staff they would like to retain (gotta be OC John DeFillipo and QB Coach Kevin O’Connell).
- Sashi Brown was promoted to Executive VP of Football Operations and will have final control over the 53 man roster, per Haslam.
- Team will hire a Head Coach (who will report to Haslam) and the Coach will have a hand in picking his GM, who will report to Brown.
- The Johnny Manziel era must be over, right?
- Have we seen the last of Alex Mack and Joe Thomas? JT says he will wait and see who the Browns hire before deciding if he wants to ask to be moved. Mack can opt out and everyone considers him gone. Mitchell Schwartz’ contract is also up and he may be pursued in free agency. So we could potentially draft a new franchise QB and have 60% of our O-Line turnover, with Cam Erving taking over at Center and Joel Bitonio returning from injury. Oh boy!
3Q: Buckeyes Roll Irish in Fiesta Bowl
- Ohio State 44, Notre Dame 28
- Buckeyes rolled Notre Dame.
- Joey Bosa ejected in 1st Qtr for targeting. Was this his way of getting out of the game without risking injury?
- Zeke had a big game in his finale with 4 rushing TDs
- Question will now be, how many guys will jump to the NFL? We already know about Bosa, Cardale and Zeke.
- LB Darron Lee, CB Eli Apple, WR Jalin Marshall have also declared for the draft.
- Buckeye Draft Tracker
- How many other underclassmen will follow them?
- Seniors that also wrapped their college careers: OL Taylor Decker, OL Jacoby Boren, OL Chase Farris, TE Nick Vannett, WR Braxton Miller, RB Ezekiel Elliott, DL Joey Bosa, DL Tommy Schutt, DL Joel Hale, LB Joshua Perry
4Q: Cavs Getting Healthy
- With Shump and Kyrie back, Coach Blatt has to work them into the rotations. We’re seeing the initial effects of this, but it will get better.
- Kyrie has been held out of the 2nd game of the last few back-to-back to ease him in. But he says he won’t miss any more games the rest of the way.
- Good defensive showing against Warriors, but offensive woes for LBJ.
- Team lethargic on their Christmas West Coast trip, but managed a 2-2 split.
- Rest, home cooking and practices should make things better. Pretty easy schedule this week before a tough one next week with trips to Dallas, San Antonio and then the home rematch with Golden State.
- Cavs are 22-9 with a 2 ½ game edge on Chicago in the Eastern Conference heading into Monday’s games.
Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio
- Subscribe with iHeart Radio