What a busy week in Cleveland sports. The Indians named their new Manager, the Buckeyes celebrated Homecoming with a rout. And the Browns turned a surprising early lead into a franchise-tying loss. We’ve got plenty to talk about. It’s GameTime!
1Q: The Indians name Terry Francona Manager
- Sandy interviewed on Thursday; Francona on Friday.
- Team announces the hiring on Saturday.
- Good move? He brings experience and 2 World Series titles. But he also has baggage from the way things ended in Boston.
- Managed 4 yrs in the minors with the White Sox from 92-95.
- Managed Phillies from 97-00.
- Managed Red Sox from 2004-11, leading them to World Series titles in 04 & 07 and five straight postseason appearances.
- Following an historic September collapse in the 2011, a collapse that cost the Red Sox a place in the postseason despite winning 90 games, Francona’s option was not exercised.
- Francona’s major league record is 1,029-915 (.529).
2Q: The Buckeyes Crush Nebraska
- Buckeyes crush the Cornhuskers 63-38.
- Ohio State scored on Pick 6, a Punt Return and 7 TDs by the offense.
- Started slow, trailing 14-7 after 1st Qtr.
- Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez was trouble for the Buckeyes D, scrambling, rushing and passing. But his 3 INTs all hurt the team.
- Miller shut down in Q1. Seemed reluctant to throw. But he exploded in Q2 with long runs and passes. OSU scored 28 pts in Q2.
- Miller: pass: 7/14, 127yds, 1TD — rush: 16 for 186yds, 1 TD (72 yards on 1 run)
- Carlos Hyde: 28 for 140yds and 4 TDs
- DT John Simon was a monster on D, pressuring Martinez and tackling rushers behind the line of scrimmage
3Q: Browns / Giants
- Browns can’t hang on to early lead and fall to Giants, 41-27.
- Browns got off to great start, scoring on T-Rich TD (after Giants fumble) then Weeden-to-Gordon for 62 yards.
- Giants moved the ball easily on our defense and kept it close.
- Weeden throws INT deep in our territory was returned 45 yards by Stevie Brown for the Giants, they scored to tie it.
- Then went ahead on TD after Cribbs fumbled ensuing KO.
- Late FG as 1st half ended after Pass Interference on Buster Skrine (who had a TERRIBLE day)
4Q: Second half was worse than the first
- Browns just couldn’t stop the Giants.
- Cruz had a record day (5 catches for 50 yds but THREE TDs).
- Bradshaw had a record day (200 yds on 30 carries)
- Eli’s uniform was clean all day.
- Haden comes off suspension for this week’s game against Cincy.
- Shurmur 0-8 against the AFC North. Yuck.