The Buckeyes topple Penn State. The Browns pick up another home win. Can they get another against Baltimore this weekend? And Ohio’s high school football teams gear up for the playoffs. Congrats to the NDCL Lions for their division championship. It’s GameTime!
1Q: Buckeyes stay undefeated with win over Penn State
- OSU takes over in 2nd half to defeat Penn St 35-23.
- Missed opportunities and crowd noise were a factor early.
- Buckeyes defense gets a quick score in 2nd half. Ryan Shazier with a 17yd Pick6. (OSU 14-7)
- OSU wore down PSU in 2nd half and their ground game took over.
- Braxton hits Stoneburner on 72yd TD bomb that put the game out of reach with 6min left.
2Q: Browns outlast the Chargers
- Browns defeat San Diego 7-6 on a cold, rainy day at the Lakefront.
- Trent ran pretty well, especially considering Owen Marecic was inactive.
- The weather affected both teams. Lots of drops. No deep connections.
- Weeden is showing progress. Smart idea to throw balls away on roll-outs when nothing was there.
3Q: Browns young players are improving
- Browns’ Jason Bademosi caught a punt at the 1 pinning SD to start Q4. SD ends up punting from their own 42. Then WE get pinned at our 3 as Cribbs lets punt bounce and roll.
- Hughes and Winn learning on the job with Rubin and Taylor out.
- T-Rich was HUGE on 4th qtr drive, getting a big 1st down on catch from the flat. Then rushing for big yards between the tackles.
4Q: Ohio High School Football Playoffs begin this weekend
- NDCL clinched a playoff berth by shutting out division rival Lake Catholic 21-0.
- The win was the 8th straight for the Lions who started 0-2.
- They finish 3rd in Division III Region 9 and will host Akron SVSM on Saturday (LBJ better stay away!)
- St. Ed’s beat Ignatius in the Division I holy war, 20-13, in a matchup of unbeatens for the 1st time ever.