Will the Browns pursue the SuperBowl MVP? What effect does Jimmy Haslam’s return as CEO of Pilot Flying J have on the Browns’ operations? We’ll talk about these stories, recap SuperBowl 47 and look ahead to the baseball season after the Indians made a couple of signings over the weekend. Lots of sports to discuss. It’s GameTime!
Note: We recorded this podcast before the news broke about the Indians signing Michael Bourn. We’ll cover that news in next week’s show.
1Q: SuperBowl Goes to Baltimore
- Baltimore returned 2nd half kickoff for TD. Baltimore up 28-6. Then the lights went out. Literally.
- 49ers mounted furious comeback after the lights went back on (Ravens were pretty conservative on play calls, too).
2Q: Flacco rumors and Haslam back at Pilot Flying J
- Flacco played great in the playoffs. 12 TDs, no INTs. He can be a free agent. Will Baltimore put the deluxe franchise tag on him and pay him $20M or take a chance that he won’t want to leave? Rumors already suggest the Browns would give up two #1s and sign him to a deal that Baltimore would not want to match. Is this just Banner leaking more stories to the press?
- Haslam resigned his position just six months ago to focus on the Browns. But now he has reinstated himself at “his first love”.
- What does this mean for the Browns?
3Q: Tribe signs some aging former stars
- 42 year old Jason Giambi signed as DH. 1HR in 89 ABs last year with Colorado.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka (Dice K) gets $1.5 M if on active roster (could be up to $4M). He had Tommy John surgery in 2011 and was on the decline even before that in the last few years.
- Pitchers and catchers reported on Sunday.
- Spring Training key dates:
- Position players are required to report on Wednesday.
- First full-squad workout scheduled for Friday morning.
- Cleveland’s first Spring Training game is a matchup against the intrastate-rival Reds on Feb. 22 at Goodyear Ballpark
4Q: Cavs’ recent surge
- The new players have helped spark some wins recently.
- Record is 16-35 after going 6-4 over their last 10.
- This still isn’t a playoff team in 2013, right?
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio