As we all get ready to change clocks and “spring forward”, our Tribe gets busy in Goodyear trying to do the same thing. Lots of buzz about the Indians’ offseason moves mean that we get to see the new-look ballclub on the field of play. Time to talk about early impressions. And, in the NFL, will the Browns make a big splash or stay low-key as they have been hinting at all along? It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 33:57
1Q: Baerga and Hart inducted to Indians HOF
- Former 2B Carlos Baerga and GM John Hart inducted to the Indians HOF
- Two men that were a HUGE part of the Indians’ success in the 90’s.
- Baerga was one of the first players signed to a long contract, which was the key strategy Hart used to get a collection of young talented players that could grow together.
- Fan favorite, terrific hitter, inspirational team leader as the organization began to shed that streak of perennial losers.
- Came to team in Joe Carter trade. Sandy, Carlos and Chris James came over from SD in 89.
- Hart orchestrated a team that was ready to emerge on the scene with the opening of Jacobs Field. He infused a mix of veteran FAs (Dennis Martinez, Eddie Murray) with the core young group (Lofton, Baerga, Belle, Alomar, Nagy).
- You see teams do this a lot now (think Tampa with Evan Longoria, for example). But it was pretty rare back then.
- This was creativity in constructing a ballclub before the word MoneyBall ever entered anyone’s vocabulary.
2Q: Spring Training Update
- Spring Training schedule/results
- Chris Perez will be out 3-4 weeks (shoulder). Pestano will be first in line to fill in as closer while he recuperates.
- Starters will be the weak link on this squad. Ubaldo not impressing early. Dice K clocked in the 80s in his action last week.
- Ryan Raburn (31, utility infielder) making a strong move to earn a roster spot with a strong spring so far. (9 for 18, 0.500, 4HR, 9RBI)
- Also good so far: Brantley, Swisher, Chisenhall
- Pitching: Nick Hagadone, Scott Kazmir looking good. Still very early.
3Q: Weeden had trouble reading defenses?
- In an interview Trent Richardson said that Weeden had trouble reading defenses and they had to simplify the offense for him. But says he really likes Weeden. Imagine if they weren’t friends?!!!
- Organization has not had much positive to say about Weeden, despite having many opportunities. They want improvement at QB position but the reality is a franchise QB doesn’t seem to be out there right now (assuming Flacco gets the exclusive franchise tag applied or signs a new deal with BAL).
- To be fair to Weeden, this offense was completely different than what he ran in college. So maybe he saw defenses that he never saw before? Not sure. This is an interesting – and scary – criticism of the QB.
- But now he’s working out with Chris Weinke???
4Q: NFL Free Agency Next Week
- Free agents can officially sign on March 12th
- Browns “say” they won’t make a big splash.
- If they do, that would be OK with fans.
- Unrealistic to think WR Mike Wallace would sign here.
- Ex-Cards DB William Gay signed with PITT instead of possibly reuniting with DC Ray Horton and said “That’s Cleveland. I don’t know if I could have handled that.”
- Ravens LB Paul Kruger?
- A Tight End for Chud? Ravens will probably slap RFA tag on Dennis Pitta.
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio