The Cavs selected Kansas Freshman Guard Andrew Wiggins with the first overall pick in the NBA Draft. The Cavs hope he will play alongside Kyrie Irving for many years as the Cavs AllStar agreed to a max, five year extension with the team as free agency got underway. Team USA was ousted from the World Cup in the round of 16 against Belgium. The Gladiators remain hot beating Tampa. And the Indians offense went AWOL on their West Coast swing through Seattle and Los Angeles. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 29:50
1Q: Cavs Draft Wiggins, Extend Kyrie
- Cavs draft Andrew Wiggins with #1 pick, this time selecting a Canadian #1 that everyone was happy to hear announced (Bennett).
- Some wanted Joel Embiid, but his injuries were just too much of a risk factor for us.
- Jabari Parker wanted to play in Milwaukee, so we took the guy that wanted to be here.
- Team extends Kyrie to a max deal, 5 years for $90M as soon as Free Agency began on Tuesday.
2Q: Heat Opt Out. Cavs pursuing Jazz Big Man
- Love not coming, unless Lebron is here.
- Don’t expect LBJ signing here as the trio all opted out of their deals with the Heat.
- Cavs focusing on Utah Forward Gordan Hayward.
3Q: Team USA Falls To Belgium
- Team USA made it out of the ‘Group of Death’ but then fell in their first game in the knockout round.
- Team USA emerged from Group G with a 1-1-1 record, good for 4 pts and a better goal differential (0) than 3rd place Portugal (-3).
- Jozy Altidore was never able to return from the injury he suffered in the first game.
- Goalee Tim Howard had a fantastic game in goal for us against Belgium, but we had no offensive firepower of our own and he was called upon to make save after save. He did for 93 minutes.
- Belgium was 3-0 in the group stage. (Group H included Algeria, Russia and South Korea). While they led for only 24 minutes in that first round, they were stingy in giving up goals as Team USA found.
- Will the US interest in soccer fade now that we have been eliminated?
4Q: Indians involved in a trio of one hitters
- Josh Tomlin threw a one-hitter in Cleveland’s 5-0 win against Seattle on Saturday.
- 11 strikeouts for the guy coming off Tommy John surgery.
- The very next day, Felix Hernandez and Closer Fernando Rodney combined to one hit the Tribe.
- Then the Dodgers repeated the feat the very next night. How often has that happened in MLB history?
- Speaking of history, the Indians had a triple play against the Dodgers on Tuesday night that withstood TWO replay challenges. Francona used it to get a decision reversed on the play at 2B. And Mattingly unsuccessfully challenged that Gomes missed the tag at home on the 7-2-4 triple play.
- At 40-43 heading into play on Wednesday. They are behind the pace of last year’s playoff team, who was 43-38 after 81 games.
[box]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio