The Browns had their BYE week while the Buckeyes came back from their own with a resounding victory against Cincinnati. The Indians wrapped up their season with a win yet won’t participate in post-season play. And the new-look Cavs have begun training camp with expectations at a fever pitch. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 40:30
1Q: Will The Bye Week Fix What Ails Browns Defense?
- 1-2 at the Bye week. Most thought this is where we’d replace Hoyer with Johnny. But the offense is not our problem.
- The defense can’t stop the run. Joe Haden is playing horribly (rated at the bottom of CBs statistically through three weeks). He’s been toasted by Antonio Brown, Jimmy Graham, Steve Smith. Not good way to play after getting richest contract for a CB.
- Hoyer has looked great for the most part. Receivers are holding on to the ball. The play calls just get a little too cute sometimes (that trick play to Johnny, for example)
- Long snapper may be shouldering the blame for the FG woes. Team tried out some other long snappers. Will they make a change?
- Will Pettine replace Travis Benjamin at Punt Returner? He lets punts drop instead of fielding them (a crucial mistake late in the Baltimore game). He could put Jim Leonard back there.
- Justin Gilbert looks like he never played CB before.
2Q: Buckeyes vs Cincinnati
- Buckeyes 50, Bearcats 28
- JT Barrett and the offense looked great.
- The defense gave up three bombs. This is trouble.
- KEY CINCY STATS
- QB Gunner Kiel 21/32, 352yds, 4TDs
- WR Chris Moore, 3 catches for 221 YDs and 3 TDs !!! (averaged 73 YDs/catch)
- KEY OSU STATS
- QB JT Barrett: 26/36, 330yds, 4TDs
- Buckeyes 710YDs of Offense
- RB Ezekiel Elliot, 28 rushes, 182YDs, 1TD
3Q: Cavs Open Training Camp
- GM David Griffin keeps wheeling and dealing to keep Cavs out of luxury tax and give them cap room for signing free agents next Summer. Keith Bogans acquired from Boston and moved to Philly in 24 hrs.
- Lebron preaches patience at media day.
- Dion Waiters has slimmed down. Would like to play PG.
- Wild Thing glad he never asked to be traded.
- Kyrie rediscovered his love for the game over the Summer playing with Team USA.
- Conducting a scrimmage in front of a packed house at thre Q tonight. Yeah, a scrimmage!
4Q: Indians Fall Short of Playoffs
- Indians end season 85-77. Finished 5GB Detroit in AL Central (3rd place)
- Officially eliminated Friday night. Finished 3GB in Wildcard chase (4th place)
- Corey Kluber had a Cy Young caliber season. (18-9, 2.44ERA, 235.2 IP, 269 SO). He set records for strikeouts and helped the pitching staff set a record for most strikeouts in a season in the MLB.
- But the lack of offense and pitiful defense were the Achilles Heel of this team from day one.
- Too bad the Front Office didn’t make any moves to acquire talent at the deadline. Just a few more wins would’ve put us in the playoffs. Did we really expect anything bold from this organization?
- Tito managed this team to 85 wins, impressive with so many holes in talent.
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio