Don’t look now, but the Cleveland Browns are in 1st place in the AFC North. We’ll talk about that impressive Thursday Night win over the Bengals. Ohio State looked fantastic against Michigan State, too. And the Indians have another Cy Young winner on the staff. What a week for our teams. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 39:33
1Q: Buckeyes Impressive against Michigan State
- OSU 49, Michigan State 37
- The Buckeyes needed a statement win and they made one against Michigan State.
- JT Barrett was outstanding (big runs, accurate passes, 3 TDs in air, 2 on ground)
- Dontre Wilson and the Special Teams struggled mightily in 1st half with three fumbles (2 lost). MSU scored TD in one play after the first TO. They missed a FG after the next.
- OSU responded quickly each time Mich St scored, so we kept the pressure on despite the turnovers.
- Big score right before the half to open things up a bit.
- Ohio State had problems with fumbles on special teams. One of them led to a TD, the other led to a missed FG. It could’ve been much worse (they fumbled a third time on a KO return). Dontre Wilson had two of those fumbles.
- The Buckeyes answered Michigan State scoring drives. After Spartans went up 7-0, the Buckeyes tied it on a four play drive. After Michigan St missed the FG, OSU hit on a one play 79 yard bomb to Michael Thomas to tie the game at 21.
- Barrett was excellent all night: He had the perfect over the shoulder throw to Smith. Also got the first 2 TDs on the ground. And he had 3 TDs in the air.
- The big difference was that we did not use the conservative play-calling that we had in last years game. Urban Meyer opened it up this time and let his QB throw. And it makes a big difference when you have a quarterback that CAN throw.
- Barrett threw a beautiful 44 yard TD pass to Devon Smith with one minute to go in the 1st half to give us a 28-21 lead.
- Buckeyes had opportunities to get turnovers but Eli Apple dropped sure INT on opening drive of 3rd quarter. This was after MSU recovered their own fumble.
- Ezekiel Elliott had some monster runs, dragging Spartans with him.
- Wilson dropped an easy TD at the 3 when he and Evan Spencer ended up in same spot.
- On fourth and five on the last play in the third quarter Michigan State went for it and we denied them. the score was 35-24 at the time. The Buckeyes made them pay for that by marching down the field and scoring on a nice 6 yard TD catch by Dontre Wilson.
- When Michigan State scored to pull the score to 42-31 Ohio State kept their foot on the gas.
2Q: Buckeyes Will Need Help to Get to FInal 4
- Despite the win, most hold the loss to a bad Va Tech team against the Buckeyes. Saturday’s win vaulted us up to #8. But too many teams ahead of us right now. We’ll need some to lose to give us a chance.
- Auburn and Notre Dame lost. LSU blew a chance to knock out Alabama for us.
3Q: Browns Looked Great against Cincy
- Browns 24, Cincy 3
- With our struggles to beat bad teams in last three weeks, many feared a blowout in Cincy. They were right, but had the wrong team on the winning end.
- Our defense kept pressure on Cincy all night and Dalton looked horrible.
- Hoyer was accurate all game.
- Running backs all played and all contributed. Each had a TD.
- Thank you Greg Little. You really made us pay.
4Q: Browns Schedule Gets Tougher From Here
- Texans in town Sunday. Ryan Mallett vs Brian Hoyer in battle of former Patriots backup QBs. Can’t have a letdown here. Time to ride the wave of confidence that we got from that big win.
- Tashon Gipson will be out after suffering concussion. Jordan Cameron may still miss the game for the same reason. C Nick McDonald may also be out with an injured calf.
- JJ Watt and Jadaveon Clowney coming to town. Oh oh. But Texans are 4-5, so we shouldn’t be afraid, right?
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio