It was a rough weekend for our quarterbacks last week. JT Barrett was lost for the year with an injury and Brian Hoyer was pulled due to poor play. Nothing’s ever easy in our town. But we’ll recap the win in THE GAME, a disappointing loss in Buffalo and catch up with the Cavs. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 35:52
1Q: Johnny Can Wait
- Buffalo 26, Browns 10
- Pettine is giving Hoyer another shot.
- Was it time for a change at QB on Sunday? (YES. Could’ve done it against Houston or Atlanta, too.)
- Who should start on Sunday? Hoyer got us this far. You don’t yank him now. We’re not playing for next year. We’re playing for a shot at the post season. Until that changes, stick with the guy that got you there.
- But that doesn’t mean you can’t get Johnny in there, too. I would use him exclusively in any goal-to-go situation. His mobility gives us something that Hoyer just doesn’t have since his injury.
- Hoyer needs to forget about Josh Gordan. Get the ball to the open receiver, like he did before. It’s up to Shanahan to call plays that help get the ball into Gordon’s hands (screens, dump passes, motion in backfield). Hoyer is forcing it too much.
2Q: QB is not the only problem
- Suddenly, Terrance West is a fumbler.
- And Isaiah Crowell seems to be hurt this week. How did our depth become a problem so fast?
- The offensive gameplan has become unimaginative. (pitch left? pitch right?)
- Defense, especially secondary, playing their best ball of the year lately. Despite all of the injuries. Haden has stepped up ever since the tipped INT from Whitner a few games ago. He’s a ball hawk now and even blocked a FG. He’ll need to keep it up against Andrew Luck.
- Justin Gilbert misses game because he is “sick” when so many teammates are playing hurt? This guy is in the doghouse now, for sure.
3Q: Buckeyes Win is Costly
- OSU 42, UM 28
- We won’t have Brady Hoke to beat up on anymore as he was fired by UM.
- This one was closer than it should have been. As case with Indiana last week.
- Wolverines were tied until late 3rd Qtr.
- Barrett broke his ankle at the start of the 4th quarter. He was our MVP.
- Heavy hearts, too, on the death of teammate Kosta Karageorge (DL walk-on). Concussions apparently had affected his state of mind.
- Buckeyes are 5th in the latest College Playoff rankings.
- Defense struggled to stop Michigan offense. 121 yards rushing (3.2 yds/attempt). How will they fare against Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordan? Expect Badgers to rush a lot against us.
- Afraid that Urban will play conservatively with a 3rd string QB in there now. Without threat of passing game, a lot of 3-and-outs will keep giving Wisconsin chances.
- Jones only three it 3 times, so it’s not like he had a lot of opportunities to shake rust off. Hope he practiced well this week!
4Q: Cavs back to winning ways
- Kyrie seems to be embracing need to play defense.
- Starting to see Lebron get more involved. Team routing some opponents lately.
- Team is 9-7 following Tuesday’s exciting win against Jabari Parker and the Bucks.
- Irving made an outstanding scoop shot off a fast break that had LBJ and K-Love excited.
- Against the Wizards the other night, however, he made an amazing pass while catching a rebound in mid-air to a wide open teammate on a fast break. Reminded me of Omar Vizquel.
- Schedule gets crazy this month. Back-to-backs @Knicks/@Raptors (Th-F), then @Nets/Raptors (M-T) and again Th-Fr @Thunder/@Pelicans. Who came up with this schedule???
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio