The Buckeyes successfully open their title defense with a win in Blacksburg. We’ll recap the big win including the choice Urban made at QB. And the Browns get down to 53 as they prepare to open against the Jets. Is this season in trouble before it begins? We’re talking football. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 50:55
1Q: Buckeyes open with a 42-24 win
- Buckeyes 42, Hokies 24
- Cardale Jones started at QB instead of JT Barrett. He was 9-18, 186 yds, 2TDs, 1INT
- Buckeyes jumped out to quick 14-0 lead and then got a little sloppy.
- Hokie QB Michael Brewer got Va Tech some scores and a halftime lead before going out with a broken collarbone in the 2nd half. His backup was not a threat to throw and the Buckeyes handled him easily.
- Braxton was impressive in catching and running (stunning spin move on 50yd TD run).
2Q: Will Buckeyes Be Their Toughest Opponent?
- Upcoming schedule:
- Northern Illinois
- Western Michigan
- With such a weak schedule, how will Urban keep these guys focused?
- Lots of room for improvement. O-Line struggled to make holes for Zeke or protect the QB. Some of the young WRs had the dropsies (but three returning WRs will move them back to bench)
- Zeke ran for an 80 yd TD but only had 42 yards on 10 other carries the whole game. The Hokies game plan was to stop him and force Cardale to beat them. plus he dropped the kick and lost the fumble.
- Dontre Wilson’s return means Zeke won’t have to return punts anymore. thank god.
- Some jitters from guys in new roles: Curtis Samuel (dropped easy TD pass), Bri’onte Dunn (fumble), Elliott (fumbled punt return)
3Q: Browns Getting Ready for Jets
- Roster down to 53.
- Terrance West traded to Titans for 7th round pick.
- Vince Mayle (4th round pick) cut. Only WR drafted in 2 years by GM Farmer.
- Manziel tossing tennis balls, so team signs Austin Davis as insurance and Terrelle Pryor makes the squad, too.
- Depth at RB is a concern for a team built to play defense and run the ball.
- Quality at WR and TE is a concern. They have plenty of bodies, but none that scare any defenses.
- QB may be the worst in the League.
4Q: Should the Browns Fail for Cardale?
- There is a growing notion that the Browns should tank in the hopes of getting the top QB (Cardale or someone else) in next year’s draft. That is a pretty bad indication of where this franchise is right now.
- New owner, new uniforms, updated stadium, but still a product on the field that is hard to get behind.
- What are realistic expectations for this team this year?
- GM Ray Farmer serving his four game suspension now.
- OL Coach Moeller suspended by team for domestic dispute over the weekend.
- WR Dwayne Bowe listed third on depth chart behind Andrew Hawkins and Brian Hartline.
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio
- Subscribe with iHeart Radio