- Microsoft buys Skype; analysts unhappy
- Microsoft has a cloud outage for BPOS
- SAP ordered to pay over a patent
- Ubuntu Server switches to OpenStack
- Microsoft Anti-Trust Oversight Ends!
Main Topic: EMC World Recap
- Theme was “Where the Cloud meets Big Data”
- 1.2 ZettaBytes in the digital universe today. Experts project this to grow to 35ZB by the end of this decade. 90% is unstructured data (think files). 300 quadrillion files out there.
- Server volumes will increase 1000 fold this decade but IT staffs will only grow 47% on average during the same timeframe.
- Security attacks are not reaching any plateau. In 2010,
- 88% of Fortune 500 had botnet activity
- 60% had email compromised by malware (1/3 of the 60m malware variants were created in the last year alone)
- EMC believes that IT as a service (aka the cloud) addresses the pain points of security and data deluge. Provides greater agility, efficiency and automation.
- Lots of announcements/focus on scalable NAS (Isilon acquisition from last year).
- Announcement of Hadoop appliance and support.
- An article on the Zettabyte File System: ZFS