John and Tom engage in a discussion centered around starting up your cloud efforts within your IT organization. What are the considerations? Where to start? How do you prepare your team?
Running Time: 37:17
IT Pro News:
- HP OpenMVS lives on!
- HP Lean Cloud IaaS announced
- Office365 subscriptions are up 67% in nine months, now at over $2B
- Q2 Cloud growth is up with IBM $250M and Microsoft at $370M (Amazon at $960M)
- Azure Machine Learning in Preview
- Report on cloud in k-12 education will be $12B in 5 years
- USB security is laughably bad, unfixable
- High tech cars not so securely designed show the Blackhats (Prius poorest, A8 highest)
- Good guy “whitehat” security group has broken CryptoLocker encryption keys
- A useful site: US Computer Emergency Readiness Team
IT Pro Main Topic: Getting ready for cloud with your team
- (previous episodes: conf updates, home self study, programming, risk profile)
- decide on “onpremise local cloud” or “public”
- pick the right project
- pick the right people (blended skills, small team)
- understand the new design paradigm (VM != cloud)
- pick the right gear (on prem)
- iterate but don’t be perfect
- still a fork in it (or do a post mortem, or audit)
- celebrate the win!
Wrap up: delivering secure, modern solutions quickly and at a reasonable price are the IT mission !
IT Pro Bookshelf:
- Building Cloud Apps with Microsoft Azure, free ebook
[box]Help Us Spread the Word! Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet. If you enjoyed this episode of IT Pro Show, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe. Subscribe to the ITPS podcast. It’s absolutely free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio