Back from San Francisco, we’ll recap last week’s VMWorld conference. With VMware a distant third in the cloud race, what announcements did they make to sway enterprise customers? Is it too little, too late?
Running Time: 42:15
IT Pro Main Topic: VMworld US 2015 Recap
- 23k+ attendees
- 88 countries
- 12th vmworld conference
- Unified Hybrid Cloud was the focus, a lot of time differentiating ability to run VMs without conversion in vCloud Air (as opposed to the other guys)
- “Think of vCloud Air as just another DC that you didn’t have to build”
- A lot of frustration at Monday’s keynote. No Pat Gelsinger, just lots of Senior Execs. Lots of people walking out early (during VirtuStream speaker)
- 40 minutes until first product announcement. Gotta KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE! IT Pros want to see demos and hear about new products and features.
- EVO SDDC Manager is a big deal for them. Pair it with hyper-converged offerings (VCE and others)
- vRealize Suite
- NSX 6.2
- Virtual San 6.1
- Vsphere 6
- Cross cloud vmotion demoed. It’s in tech preview today.
- Tuesday keynote more EUC-focused. AirWatch part of the story here.
- Many sessions I attended were from VMware and customers offering lessons learned and best practices from their enterprise deployment attempts.
- A lot of pragmatic advice here:
- communicate and train your users so they know what to expect
- involve cross-functional teams (Security, Network, Compute, Storage. Don’t forget about Ops)
- Don’t neglect considerations for Day 2 operational implications. It’s great that your cost of entry is cheap, but if you have to spend new tools to integrate systems and retrain your Ops staff, those savings quickly disappear.
Don’t be fooled regarding security:
- Biggest hacks last year: OPM, Target, Sony, et al
- OPM: State-sponsored attack. Someone got credentials from a 3rd party
- Target: got credentials from 3rd party HVAC technician
- They had intrusion detection in place (detected in Bangalore DC) but they ignored it
- Lost 41million credit cards
- Your data is not necessarily more safe just because it’s on-prem. You need to protect it no matter where it resides.
IT Pro Bookshelf:
- Select video sessions from VMworld 2015 released to general public, including the two keynotes
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of IT Pro Show, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the ITPS podcast. It’s absolutely free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio
- Subscribe with iHeart Radio