What are the new ways that consumer technology is being used to aid people when traveling?
- smartphones used by airlines for boarding passes?
- Continental pilot program
- subscribe to flight alerts via SMS (gate info, flight status, etc)
- WiFi hotspots on the plane? Is this a good thing? Lufthansa has been an early adopter.
- NY Times article: Obama Seeks High-Speed Rail System Across U.S.
Turn-by-turn nav in rental cars (and many smartphones) make it hard to get lost. Eliminates lots of travel maps from days gone by.
What are the essential tools that a tech-savvy traveler needs to have when traveling?
- A/C adapter and cigarette adapter with USB adapters.
A UPS driver has developed a device to block cell use around drivers.
Nerd Tools of the week
- Kensington charger adapters that replace the need for multiple charger bricks
- PowerMat: wirelessly charge your electronic devices. Coming in Fall 2009.
Movie Quote of the week
- “Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.”
- “Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.“, A Christmas Story (1983)