We’re turning 300! That’s like 2,100 episodes in dog years. Or something like that. We’re taking a look at some of the cool new ways Disney is using tech at their parks to make your vacations even more magical.
Running Time: 54:28
- Starting last week, the It’s A Small World ride personalizes your goodbye message
- Ride times now officially maintained by Disney and posted in their mobile app(My Disney Experience). Very accurate. And when a ride breaks down (Pirates) they direct you to the app to check when it will be back up and running. Park entrances also direct you to the app to check daily schedules, like parades, fireworks and character appearances
- For the first time in forever, WiFi is very good (many hotspots – one for the parks, one for in-room resorts and one for public spots around the property)
- Spaceship Earth “tech of the future” is already here. House cleaning assistant (Roomba), driverless car service to your door (Uber).Plan your day calendars (smartphones), custom clothes delivered to your door (online retail, personalized services like Trunk club, etc)
- A reminder from the past: how Walt saw the E.P.C.O.T. in 1966
- Be our guest. No need to check-in at the front desk if you checked in online. You get a text telling you your room is ready and can go straight there using your Magic Band as the door key.
- IoT laundry services at Disney resort hotels. Get your clothes cleaned while you have fun, get notifications on your phone.
- Buses have GPS, which feeds all the monitors at resort bus stops. They started with the premium resort locations, but all have them now.
- Cameras also monitor the queues at the stops so they can send more buses when needed.
- Floater buses carry a fake designation (Marlin) until they get an assignment
- Boats are similarly handled. Based on time of day they may only make one stop to avoid sending half full boats to the next stop. (French Quarter/Riverside/Disney Springs)
[content_band style=”color: black” bg_color=”#fec42a” border=”all” inner_container=”true”] [custom_headline style=”margin-top: 0;” level=”h4″ looks_like=”h4″]Help Us Spread the Word![/custom_headline]
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of Words from Nerds, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the WFN podcast. It’s 100% free and 200% fun!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio
- Subscribe with TuneIn Radio
- Subscribe with iHeart Radio