We had a chance to experience a Major League Baseball game in a very different way this week, thanks to the folks at the Cleveland Indians. We sat down with Anne and Erin to discuss how the team is using social media to interact with fans and to reach a new generation of fans that ‘get’ tech and social media. They are in their third year of hosting tech bloggers, podcasters and social media enthusiasts to get together for a baseball meet up during a ballgame.
Mobile App of the Week:
- ESPN ScoreCenter App
- configured to your fav teams, sports both pro and collegiate
- configure alerts with scores, updates, and more!
Getting Social with the Cleveland Indians:
- Anne Keegan (@ack) and Erin Parker (@Indians) sat down with us to talk about the Indians Social Suite, Tribe Vibe, and what the team is doing on all of the social media platforms, including the newest ones like Pinterest and Google+.
- In the third year of hosting local bloggers, twitter-ers, podcasters, and others active in the social media scene to come enjoy a game together.
- There are no expectations that you will write or post anything. But they provide wi-fi and certainly encourage the use of your tech gadgets during the game.
- Actual direct communication from several levels of the organization — the team President (@MarkShapiro), the Manager (@MacTriber_11) as well as several ballplayers. How often can you say that you can interact with a company at all of those levels?
- If you want to know more about what the Indians are doing, check them out at indians.com/social
This Week in Nerd History:
- April 23, 1985 – Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. The response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than 3 months.
- April 24, 1990 – STS-31: The Hubble Space Telescope is launched from the Space Shuttle Discovery.