We’ve got quite an unusual mix of stories this week that include zombies in British Columbia, post-apocolypse missile silo apartments and a detailed plan to start building the USS Enterprise. Oh, and John starts a new Facebook rumor, too. All this, plus our Mobile app of the week and Nerd history.
Mobile App of the Week:
- EMC World 2012 Mobile App – how to get the most out of smartphones at a conference. QR Codes scans, session reviews, session schedules, floor maps, twit polls and more.
- It’s still a little early according to Star Trek lore, but some guy wants us to get started building the USS Enterprise. And he’s got detailed plans on how to do it.
- What does Pi sound like? When you put it to music, not bad, actually. (thanks to @tc110 for sharing this)
- Rumor: Facebook to buy Opera and RIM
- SpaceX the beginning of more to come?
- Olympicene built by chemists.
- Sad news: Missile silo condos sold out
- British Columbia helps us all prepare for zombies
- Oldest musical instrument
This Week in Nerd History:
- May 30, 1854 – The Kansas-Nebraska Act becomes law establishing the US territories of Nebraska and Kansas.
- May 31, 1859 – Big Ben comes online
- May 30, 1868 – Decoration Day (the predecessor of the modern “Memorial Day“) is observed in the United States for the first time (By “Commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic” John A. Logan‘s proclamation on May 5)