Mobile App of the Week:
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame app for iOS ($1.99 US) Thanks to @tc110 for this recommendation.
- The NASA Mars Rover “Curiosity” landed on the Red Planet on August 5th, following a perfectly executed landing that occured during the “7 minutes of terror”.
- Yes, there is a Lego version of the Curiosity Rover. It was made with 1,000 Lego pieces AND BlueTooth! (Everything’s better with BlueTooth” – from “The Work Song Nanocluster” episode of The BigBangTheory, Season 2)
- How about a Batman-themed home theater for a cool $2 Million?
- A blogger was hacked in a very bad way, losing data on his iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Google accounts in the span of one hour. What can we learn from the mistakes that he made? There were plenty of examples, to be sure.
- What can you do to protect yourself?
- Check out WFN episode 3 from way back on February 9, 2009 for a hint.
- Two factor authentication (Google, for one, offers this for free). But beware of the complexity in setting it up everywhere that you need it.
This Week in Nerd History:
- August 7, 1944 – IBM dedicates the first program-controlled calculator, the Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator (known best as the Harvard Mark I).
- August 7, 1976 – Viking program: Viking 2 enters orbit around Mars.