An app to answer your phone that shows caller tweets and FB posts. Verizon adds to their shared data plans and Netflix brings their Just for Kids interface to the XBOX. All of this plus a cool use of a mobile app for programming your DVR and several significant tech icons celebrate birthdays.
Mobile App of the Week:
- Netflix wants your kids to skip their cable TV and watch their favorite shows via Netflix streaming, thanks to their new Just for Kids interface on XBOX 360.
- A new WhitePages app, CurrentCallerID, debuts for Android today that lets you see not only who’s calling, but what they have recently tweeted and posted to FaceBook.
- Verizon quietly adds a 20GB shared data plan to their offerings.
- Google+ launches vanity URLs to try to compete with Facebook and twitter.
- Mac users should not expect much with the new MacSuite for Office365. For shame, Microsoft!
- Lego celebrates its 80th birthday with a cute animated video.
This Week in Nerd History:
- August 15, 1962 – Spider-Man is born.
- August 12, 1977 – The first free flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
- August 12, 1981 – The IBM Personal Computer is released.