Mike visits the TWiT Studios, Panasonic makes a killer 4k television and Yelp reviews help restaurants. Plus a special birthday highlights this week’s Nerd History.
Mobile App of the Week:
- Guitar Tuner, Alvin Yu, includes non-standard tuning configurations. FREE
- Make room on your credit cards because it’s going to be a busy tech week. Look for announcements from Amazon (new Kindle Fires), Nokia (Windows 8 phone, RT tablets) and more. Apple’s iPhone announcement is September 12th.
- Mike’s trip to the TWiT Brick House in Petaluma, California.
- So much for 1080p: 4K TVsare coming!
- $20,000, no 4K Blu-ray spec, and no 4K broadcast TV.
- Panasonic shows 145-inch 8K (7680×4320) plasma TV
- Cool Windows 8 phone feature: SMS sync to outlook.com
- Positive Yelp reviews help restaurants with nightly reservations by 19%.
This Week in Nerd History:
- September 4, 1939 – Happy 73rd birthday to the father of the Same3Guys. Happy Birthday Dad!
- September 4, 1951 – Ending World War II, the first live transcontinental television broadcast takes place in San Francisco, California, from the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference.
- September 8, 1966 – The first Star Trekseries premieres on NBC.