A skydiver jumps from space to the Earth. Tablet wars get interesting next week. Microsoft announces the XBOX Music service. And a $25 computer. All this plus the anniversary of a speed record in this week’s Nerd History.
- FBI warns against mobile malware.
- You may be getting a rebate from Amazon for those eBooks you bought.
- Tablet wars get interesting next week. Apple’s iPad Mini event is October 23rd and Microsoft’s RT tablets launch on October 26th with Windows 8.
- Microsoft is also going after Pandora and Spotify with XBox Music.
- Did you hear that? Skydiver breaks the sound barrier in jump from edge of space.
- When computers are cheaper than LEGO, only good things can happen.
- A SuperComputer on the Moon for mission telecomm
This Week in Nerd History:
- October 14, 1947 – Captain Chuck Yeager of the U.S. Air Force flies a Bell X-1 rocket-powered experimental aircraft, the Glamorous Glennis, faster than the speed of sound – over the high desert of Southern California – and becomes the first pilot and the first airplane to do so in level flight.
- October 14, 1968 – The first live telecast from a manned spacecraft, the Apollo 7, launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration of the U.S.A.