Holiday sales for mobile apps, plus an easy way to gift them. Google Maps makes a triumphant return to iOS. And Microsoft thinks you are starting to get used to Windows 8. We’ve got these stories, plus some great nerd history items this week.
Mobile App of the Week:
- Halfbrick Studios is making all of their iOS games available for free for 24 hours, including Fruit Ninja HD. Get it fast!
- Google will drop Exchange support in Gmail, Calendar and Contacts on January 30th. Why this is a big deal.
- Better Google news as Maps returns to iOS.
- Just in time for the holidays, Apple returns AppStore gifting option to iOS.
- Oh, and that F# major chord is now patented by Apple.
- So, you’re liking Windows 8?
This Week in Nerd History:
- December 17, 1903 – The Wright Flyer travels over the sand at Kitty Hawk, NC.
- December 17, 1969 – Project Blue Book: The United States Air Force closes its study of UFOs.
- December 16, 2003 – President George W. Bush signs the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 into law. The law establishes the United States’ first national standards for the sending of commercial e-mail and requires the Federal Trade Commission to enforce its provisions.
- December 17, 2003 – private SpaceShipOne goes supersonic
- December 21, 2012 – the end of the 13th baktun (18.104.22.168.0) of the Mayan calendar.