A recap of the highlights from the Consumer Electronics Show held in Las Vegas last week. Why nerds make better parents. Minecraft as a educational tool in schools? And the White House with a response that would make George Lucas proud.
Mobile App of the Week:
- App Gratis. One free app offer per day that would normally be a paid app. Kinda like Groupon for apps. Offer is good only for the day. (thanks to Violet for sharing this app suggestion on our Facebook page!)
- What was the hot tech on display at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas? We’ll react to the Best of CES at this year’s show that wrapped up last week.
- From the silly, but surprisingly useful category, come these nailtips that can be used as a stylus for your favorite tablet/smartphone.
- And true to the Big Bang Theory belief that everything is better with bluetooth come these Bluetooth stickers that can help you locate just about anything. Sheldon would love this.
- If you have a Linksys router, and millions do, be aware of a zero-day exploit that affects every existing firmware version for Linksys routers. The manufacturer says it will issue a bug fix soon. If you don’t know how to patch your router, time to dig up that manual or go to Linksys.com to locate your manual online.
- How cool is it to have Minecraft for homework?
- Do nerds make for better parents?
- The White House says it is not the right time for a Death Star. Is this just a Jedi Mind Trick?
- The International Space Station walk-through done in MTV Cribs-style (video).
This Week in Nerd History:
- January 13, 1910 – The first public radio broadcast takes place; a live performance of the opera Cavalleria rusticana is sent out over the airwaves from the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, New York.
- January 13, 1942 – World War II: First use of an aircraft ejection seat by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 jet fighter.
- January 12, 1957 – PIXAR’s John Lasseter is born
- January 15, 1967 – The first Super Bowl is played in Los Angeles, California. The Green Bay Packers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 35–10.
[box style=”quote”]Help Us Spread the Word!
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of Words from Nerds, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the WFN podcast. It’s 100% free and 200% fun!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio